Nothing can be more devastating to a family than a wage earner’s disability due to illness or accident. Loss of wages and benefits can produce a financial crisis that can quickly spiral out of control. Medical tests, hospitalizations, prescription medication, and modifications to a person’s lifestyle and abilities can result in a family facing the loss of their home and standard of living. The stress of dealing with all of this at once can be overwhelming, but help is available. Social Security Disability (SSD) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits are available to those whose disability has or is expected to last more than 12 months. Though the application and appeal process is extensive, the experiencedPhiladelphia Social Security Disability attorneys at Silver & Silver can help an individual and his or her family through this most difficult time.
Our Philadelphia Social Security Disability Attorneys Enhance Chances of Successful Claims
When filing for SSD and SSI benefits, the burden of proof lies on the disabled individual to prove that the condition or illness prevents them from working for longer than a 12 month period. It is imperative for medical documentation to clearly outline the aspects of the disability to justify the claim. Many disability applications are initially denied, and the appeal process can be lengthy. Medical bills and monthly expenses continue to mount, so getting your disability claim approved as soon as possible can prevent catastrophic financial consequences. The Philadelphia Social Security Disability attorneys at Silver & Silver will assist you in the application process and will gather the critical medical documentation needed for a successful outcome. In the likely event of an appeal, we will do all we can to make the process work as quickly as possible and help ensure a successful outcome.
The Application Requirements for SSD & SSI Benefits
Disabled individuals face stringent requirements and a mountain of paperwork when applying for SSD and SSI benefits. It is vital to file the necessary documentation that will support a claim in the initial stages of the application process. Failure to do so can result in your claim being denied, delayed, or your compensation reduced. Many factors are considered in determining a disability claim, and submitting the proper paperwork avoids a lengthy appeals process. Our Philadelphia Social Security Disability attorneys can help you prepare a successful application. The factors that are considered are:
- Age: You must prove that you have worked for five out of the ten years before a claim is filed. Your age at time of the disability can affect this requirement. A person who is under 50 years of age may have a harder time meeting this requirement than someone who is over 50. Our disability attorneys are extremely familiar with the relevant laws and regulations that can be applied to meet this requirement.
- Education/Skill Level: The more education a person has, the more difficult it sometimes is to prove that you are unable to work. A disabled person who worked in a labor-intensive trade is more likely to have an injury or illness that prevents him/her from continuing a physically demanding job. Those in white collar and executive positions will have greater difficulty proving disability because their opportunities are increased by their education and potential. Silver & Silver Social Security Disability attorneys will work diligently to prove that your disability has truly affected your ability to work.
- Experience & Work History: SSD and SSI benefit amounts will be based on your earnings record, so it is imperative that you submit a comprehensive overview of any and all earnings over the past ten years. Our experienced SSD & SSI attorneys will make sure you receive credit for all of your earnings.
- Pension and Workers Compensation: If you are receiving a pension or Workers’ Compensation benefits, your SSD and SSI benefits could be reduced. Benefit amounts are often calculated based on what you would receive at retirement age, so it is imperative that these figures be accurate or your compensation could be affected. Proper documentation will be gathered by our Philadelphia Social Security Disability lawyers to ensure that you get the compensation to which you are legally entitled.
- Family Members/Dependents: Family members and dependents of disabled workers receiving SSD benefits may also be eligible for compensation. Spousal support and benefits for children under the age of 18, or 19 if enrolled in high school, could significantly increase the monthly benefit for a family. The Social Security Disability attorneys at Sliver & Silver will seek any and all compensation available to you and your dependents.
Call the Philadelphia Social Security Disability Lawyers at Silver & Silver
Timing, medical and financial documentation and compliance with application deadlines are crucial to filing a successful claim for SSD and SSI benefits. The Philadelphia Social Security Disability attorneys at Silver & Silver will simplify the complex process involved in filing and appealing an SSD or SSI claim, and will use our experience and knowledge of the law to capitalize on the compensation that you and your family deserve. With offices inArdmore, Pennsylvania, we are conveniently located to meet with disabled individuals residing throughout the Philadelphia area and its surrounding suburbs of Delaware County, Montgomery County, Bucks County, Norristown and Media, Pennsylvania, as well as the South Jersey communities of Camden, Burlington, Cherry Hill, Voorhees, Haddonfield, Moorestown, Mt. Laurel, Gloucester, Atlantic County and others. Call us for a free consultation at 1-800-94-SILVER or contact us online.